The School of Communication and Journalism (SCJ) founded in 1995 to provide journalism, communication and media education of the highest standards in the Self Financing Stream has stood steadfast at the forefront of teaching and analysis in all aspects of media. In response to the new opportunities and needs in the mass media and communication sector, we are also developing an innovative approach to the enterprise and media management in the creative industry. With the state of the art facilities in broadcasting, video production, print media training and web based journalism, School of communication and Journalism offers a first rate practice based education underpinned by industrial knowledge and regroups theoretical inquiry, supported by formidable range of advisors and media professionals from the industries and members of staff who excel in both professional practice and scholarly research. The P.G full time MA-JMC (Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication) offered in our University Campus Centre is designed for students wishing to pursue Journalism careers at a high level of engagement.
Mahatma Gandhi University encourages the students to equip and to challenge beneath the surface of the subjects chosen for study. The School of Communication and Journalism (S.C.J) is renowned for blending the teaching of practical skills with critical analysis.
The School of Communication and Journalism is one of the prestigious teaching departments in the Mahatma Gandhi University. It attracts students from all parts of the country. Almost all media establishments in and outside of the state from Reuters to local channels are constantly seeking our students for absorption in the various facets of the media profession. Apart from this, our students belong to one of the most sought after category in the academic segments and Public Relations also.
Course : MA JMC (Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication)
Total Seats : 30
Semesters : 4
Tuition Fees : Rs. 18,000 per semester
Practical Fees : Rs. 1500 per Semester
Course : At M.G University Campus only
1. Vartha : On the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi University’s Youth Festivals Conducted in various centers, Vartha is brought out in its printed format by covering the inaugural functions with its photos very prestigiously within one hour of the function and thousands of copies are printed and distributed in and around the venue towns from the very inception of the School. Furthermore, it covers and carries out the 24 x 7 happenings of the youth festivals on all the days of the events with eye-catching news and photos from all the different stages in online. The newspapers and channels have brought out special coverage for this unique venture of journalism students regularly. Here after, we are going to publish the Vartha in a special Printed Periodical format instead of the existing system, due to technical reasons.
2. Seminars and Discussions: Seminars are mandatory for this course. Each seminar turns out in to brain storming session with the active support of the faculty.
3. Video production: To equip the students with the ever expanding opportunities in the visual media, a short term training session in video production is offered. This workshop includes training in videography, production, script writing, editing, dubbing, mixing and compeering with the supervision of external Experts. The students as part of their curriculum are bound to produce a five minute film on their own after completion of the training.
4. Radio production: As part of the curriculum, the students are given training in radio programming including news and interview.
5. Internship: As part of the curriculum the School facilitates a short term internship programme in association with various media houses or P.R organisations.
6. The Library: The School has a well stocked library with titles listed from the very recent catalogues. All newspapers and magazines are available in this part of the state get accommodated in the library.
7. The placements: The School has highest intake of students by the media. All the 13 students who appeared for the National Eligibility Test (NET) by the UGC for the first time (1998 ) from this department qualified the exam setting a national record. The story is getting repeated with students coming out in flying colours in NET and SET examinations.
Presently he is the Syndicate member of Mahatma Gandhi University. Joined the University service as the Hon. Professor of Journalism after 23 years’ journalistic experiences as the Resident Editor of Mangalam Daily and the Chief Reporter of Deepika Daily. Was appointed as an outstanding scholar in the field of Journalism as per UGC norms. Is the only journalist in Kerala, sometimes in India, who has been continuously writing a weekly column for the last 41 years. He has to his credit more than, Fifteen Thousand articles and bye-lined stories published in Dailies and Weeklies. Recipient of coveted awards like the Swedeshabhimani Award, BishopVayalil media Award, AksharaSoorya Award, Pothen Joseph Award, G Smaraka Award, Sivaram Award, Labour India Award, Dr. Annie Besant Award, Thengamam Balakrishnan Award etc. Advisor: Malayalam University, Board of Studies Chairman: Kerala University, Malayalam University. B.O.S member: Kannur University and Manglore University.Core committee chairman; P.G & U.G Courses of M.G University. Is serving as the Secretary General of Indian Association of Media Educators of Indian Universities. Traveled more than 30 countries and authored books like Thirakinidayil, Azhikalkappuram, Churukathil (NBS)ThirakinidayilThanne(DCBooks),Kazhchavattom(AsansBooks),ThettumThiruthum(Vimala Books), Thettiyal Thirutham (SPCS)
Syndicate Member M.G University
Various Universities in India
Private Television Channels
CBSE – Expert Member
SCERT – Expert Member
Selection Board Member : various Universities in India
Newspaper Institutions (both Regional and National)
All India Radio
Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
Consortium for Education Communications, New Delhi
Post Graduate in Criminal Law -LLM
23 Years of Journalistic Experiences in top positions
Enrolled as an Advocate in the Bar council of Kerala
MA(JMC) Course Completed
Long Term Editorial Training Course in Journalism under the world renowned Thomson Foundation, London
Attended numerous National and International Seminars and Workshops for Journalists and Journalism Teachers both as faculty member and as participant.
Dr.Ligimol P Jacob
Lecturer in Journalism:
Mobile : 9495934263, 9446534263
email: ligimolbabychan @gmail.com
Date of joining: 1.11.1999
Masters Degree in Journalism and Communication from University of Mysore with second rank.
Dr.Nadig Krishna Moorthi Facilitation
Committee Gold Medal in Reporting
Sampemane Krishna Moorthi Gold Medal in Editing
PuranikGundacharya Memorial Gold Medal
Three months Professional experience in
reporting and sub editing from Malayala Manorama
Three months experience from English daily Star of Mysore in Mysore
Published articles in English dailies and Malayala Manorama
Participation in PR Seminars. Done a project in Public Relations.
Masters degree in Communication and Journalism from Mahatma Gandhi University
Post Graduate Diploma in Public Relation(PGDPR)
Diploma in Web Designing
Professional achievement :
Six years of Teaching Experience
Worked as Journalism lecturer in St.Xavier’s College Thumba, Thiruvananthapuram
Completed the professional development workshop ‘Digital Media Tools for News Gathering and Distribution’ Sponsored by the U.S Consulate General.
Worked as Web Journalist in Rosemalayalam news portal for two years
Worked as web journalist in Azhchavattom news portal
Mr. Abhilash G
Lecturer in Journalism
ØMasters Degree in Mass Communication and Journalism from Mahatma Gandhi University, kottayam.
Qualified UGC NET
Professional Diploma in Hardware & Network Engineering
ØWorked as Lecturer in Dept of Communicative English, Marian College, Kuttikkanam.
Worked in a Community Radio SANJOS RADIO in St. Josephs HS, Chemboor, Trivandrum
Was resource person for Developing the curriculum and Syllabus for a Diploma Course Print Journalism for Marian Community college
NB : Frequently, Media and Other Experts are also engaged for taking classes for MA (JMC).
The syllabus of MA-JMC (Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication) is designed to enable raw graduate to develop the creative and professional skills in the wide field of mass media industry. Framed to meet the existing Professional standards, the unique environment of the School enables the students to train and develop a professional working practice in all the major media firms. There are numerous opportunities to explore the convergent nature of technology, in the production of a major piece of research and a number of practical face to face situations. Each semester comprises 4 theory papers and 1 practical paper. The practical Papers are designed to inculcate and to face challenges of media industry in a professional Manner. Medium of instruction and writing Examinations are in English except one paper Malayalam journalism. But optional paper is given for students who are not able to write in Malayalam.
MA JMC (Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication)